Call for Artists
National Juried Exhibition of Contemporary Abstraction
January 21 – February 25, 2017
Reception: Saturday, January 21, 6-8pm
Juried by Nicole Capozzi and Joshua Hogan, Co-owners and Curators of Box Heart Gallery
DEADLINE: DECEMBER 7, 2016
You may submit up to 4 works of art for consideration
Submission Fee: $25
Purchase Award will be given, the work chosen will become part of Sweetwater's Permanent Collection
Artist Notification: December 17, 2016
Please read gallery policies at the bottom of this page before submitting.
The birth of Abstraction in art cannot be pinpointed to a single instance. It is something that was born of the complexity and realities of the early modern western world. During the last decade of the 19th century, the then budding artist Wassily Kandinsky saw an exhibition in Moscow of Monet’s haystack paintings. The color in the works seemed to dominate the image so much so that anything recognizable became lost to him. He wrote of the experience: Deep inside me was born the first faint doubt as to the importance of an “object” as a necessary element in painting.
Abstraction has been a major language of artistic creation for over a century. It is as viable today as it was throughout the various 20th century art movements that investigated its possibilities. Indeed in 2013 Artnews published an Article by Art Historian Pepe Karmel titled The Golden Age of Abstraction: Right Now.
Perhaps what drives artist’s compulsion to investigate further into the realm of abstraction is that any exact definition remains allusive. What we know is this abstraction may be a response to or an inspiration of something seen or experienced, it may be born of pure concept, it may be void of reference or association and be autonomous in its form and color. Always it seems deeply personal whether coming into existence through intellect or emotion.
The exhibition Compulsion at Sweetwater Center for the Arts seeks to present contemporary works that represent the truly broad nature of abstraction.
1. Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Compulsion Submission" in the subject line.
2. Include in the body of your email: Name, Address, Phone number, Email address, and Where you heard about the exhibition call for artists.
3. Also include in the body of the email information on up to 4 works of art: Submission Number, Title, Medium, Size of artwork, Size of artwork framed if applicable, and Year created.
4. Attach to the email: 4 jpeg images. Do not send the images in the body of the email, please send as attachments. Name the images as follows: Your initials, submission number, title of work. examples: AW.1.Campbells Soup Cans.jpg; AW.2.Triple Elvis.jpg
5. Pay $25 submission fee via paypal by clicking on the button below.
Event Dates: December 2 - 11, 2016
with Heritage Valley Health System Preview Party opening the sale on December 1st from 6-9pm
Submissions are closed.
Artist Check-In is November 19th and 21st, 2016 by appointment
Artist Check-out is December 14th and 15th, 2016 by appointment
Sweetwater Gallery Policies: Sweetwater retains 40% of gallery sales; We have a height limitation of 7.5 feet on 2D work; The artist is responsible for transport/shipment of artwork; All submission fees are non-refundable; We do not have size specifications on images you send for submission, please be reasonable! We want to see them, but not have them break the inbox; PLEASE follow instructions for submission carefully, we retain the right to not consider your work if instructions are not followed.